Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Year 7 English at HASN
Year 7 English at (South and Upper site)
Throughout the year, students will explore challenging literary texts, hone their analytical and writing skills, and improve their ability in Speaking and Listening! They will develop a love of reading and become proficient in literacy.
We are currently studying (Autumn)
The Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis
How are students assessed, and what do the reports mean?
· Students take a formal assessments in reading and writing in the Spring and Summer terms. These are marked by teachers.
In the Spring and Summer terms, we will be studying:
‘Diverse Shorts’, a collection by the English and Media Centre
‘Trash’ by Andy Mulligan
How can you help?
- Step One: Invest in a big dictionary.
- Step Two: Read with your child for 20-30 minutes each day. (Fiction or Non-fiction).
- Step Three: Highlight words they don’t know.
- Step Four: Find the definition.
- Step Five: Challenge them to use the new piece of vocabulary in four different sentences.
Support with homework or revision:
Use sites such as:
- BBC Bitesize KS3 – this is particularly good for revising writing for specific purposes.
- BBC Skillswise – aimed at adult learners, but useful for functional literacy
We sell KS3 English workbooks in our LRC – if your child needs extra practice, these are ideal.