Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Most Able Students
At HASN we have cultivated a rigorously enriched curriculum and we strive to ensure every lesson has the appropriate level of stretch and challenge for all students.
Upon arrival at HASN, we use an identification criterion based on assessment data and mindset to determine who the most able 5-10% of students in each year group are. Throughout their time at the academy, these students are then selected for academic and cultural enrichment programmes designed to further prepare them for applying to Oxbridge and Russell Group universities.
What are the opportunities for the Most Able students at HASN?
- The Harris Experience – In year 9 the Most Able Students from across the Federation are selected to be placed on this programme which is designed to expand and broaden their cultural experiences through events such:
- An introduction to the study of Philosophy and Ethics
- An introduction to Law and being a solicitor
- Lectures on Art appreciation and History
- Trips to concerts, theatres, art galleries and museums
- Masterclasses on challenging extra-curricular topics and careers advice
- The Harris Experience Advanced – This programme builds on the Harris Experience, encouraging these students, once in Sixth Form, to apply for the top universities in the country. Medicine and Oxbridge candidates will receive mentoring and guidance on their personal statement and application process, involving interview preparation and practice.
- Scholars Programme – selected KS3 Maths and Science students will be mentored through an assignment on Code Breaking in World War 2 by a PhD research student.
‘The 2020 Year 9 Harris Experience cohort: Tyrese, Maddie, Cindy, Maggie, Shariq, George and Alans’.
The Scholars Programme and Brilliant Club https://thebrilliantclub.org/