Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Work Experience at Harris Academy South Norwood
Why do we do Work Experience?
Work experience is fundamental to establishing the strongest links between future employers / partnerships and secondary schools.
At Harris Academy South Norwood we firmly believe that exposure to work is a significant step in preparing our students for their working life, by developing their personal and social skills, as well as the key skills they will need for the world of work. Please see this 5 minute film that explains the purpose and benefits of work experience.
- stretches the career horizons of young people.
- allows your son or daughter to be more realistic about their career aspirations
- is a very effective means of challenging social stereotypes about occupational ambitions. There is no set career for women or men, for instance.
- means that young people return to school more motivated and inspired and grades go up
Work Experience: #theNorwoodway
Our Norwood Work Experience Programme is bespoke to our academy. Louise Martin, Assistant Principal, at the academy heads up this programme.
During the summer term, Year 10 and VI Form students take advantage of a two-week work experience placement. We are fortunate to receive a well-resourced career and higher education service through the Harris Federation as well as a plethora of in-house knowledge and experience about careers, which is delivered from Year 7 through to Post-16 students.
Our work experience programme focuses on 3 key areas:
- Recognising our own strengths in a careers / education setting
- Considering opportunities available (how to apply for work experience placements, routes / providers to explore)
- Developing employability skills (interview techniques / guidance)
Our enriched and engaging programme begins in Year 7 through our tutor time delivery and we build on this provision each year, to help students to make informed decisions during their school careers, such as GCSE and A-level choices, not to mention life post Harris Academy South Norwood. For students embarking on Work Experience programmes, we additionally factor in opportunities for individual career interviews / additional support, to build confidence and skills prior to starting these pathways.
High proportions of both pupils and teaching staff believe that young people return from work experience more motivated to do well at school.
Harris Academy South Norwood is proud of the established network of providers we have in place for our students however we actively encourage our students to seek their own opportunities: it is their work experience placement and the most successful placements are when the students have chosen their own placements.
For further information, please contact Louise Martin, Assistant Principal, at the academy (email@example.com).