Appear the Part
All employers will judge your son and daughter when they meet them. We train our students to be open-faced, confident citizens who will be eager to help.
Employers who come into our academy are asked to comment on the following checklist. You will, as a parent, want to support our academy in telling your son and daughter that this is how they need to be. Look through this list and check whether you think your son or daughter would pass this first impressions test.
Appearing the Part Check-list
- Did they act sensibly when they first met the employer?
- Was their appearance smart? Even if they are in school uniform their tie should be
- Business-like, the top button is done up and they shouldn’t be chewing gum!
- Their hair should be neat and tidy and out of their face.
- Did they make good eye contact?
- Did they shake your hand?
- Did they introduce themselves?
- Did they sit comfortably? Did they fidget or pick their nails?
- Was their voice calm?
Outside interests and achievements
- Did they talk openly and enthusiastically about their hobbies and interests or did you have to drag the information out of them?
- Could they identify their achievements?
Evidence of teamwork, leadership, getting on with other people
- Were they able to give an example of being a good team player?
- Could they identify when they had taken control of a situation?
- How clearly did they speak?
- Were their answers interesting and did they include relevant information?
- Did they come across as a confident person when they spoke?
- Could you highlight an area that the student excelled in?
- Could you identify areas that the student could develop?