Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Posted on November 9th 2016
Black History Month Winners!
This October Harris Academy South Norwood celebrated Black History Month, but this year with a twist. Students were asked to create a tribute in any form they wished for an individual from black history that had inspired them. However, rather than focusing on the figures we all know such as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, the students had to research about important figures whose stories until now had not been told. Here are the winning entries.
Of the winners, the individuals were:
- Ruby Bridges – the first African-American child to attend an all-white school
- Lukeni Iua Nimi – the first king of the Kingdom of Congo.
- Muhammad Ali
Other entries included:
- Usain Bolt
- Mary Seacole
- Eusebio – Portugese footballer
- Macon Bolling Allen – the first black American Justice of the Peace.
- Jane Bolin – first black woman to become a judge in the United States in 1932
- Eartha Kitt – black American filmstar
- Marcus Garvey – early black rights campaigner
- Paul Bogle – Jamaican Deacon and acitivist in the 19th century.