Download our FREE smartphone app today!
Year 10 & 11 English at HASN
KS4 English at HASN (South & Upper site)
AQA English Literature
Students will study a 19th century text (‘A Christmas Carol’ by Charles Dickens), a Shakespeare play (‘Macbeth’), a modern play (‘An Inspector Calls’ by J.B. Priestly) a collection of poetry from AQA’s Power and Conflict anthology, and unseen poetry in Year 10, and revise all 5 texts in Year 11.
Edexcel English Language
Students will analyse and evaluate a range of extracts from nineteenth century fiction, and create their own imaginative writing for Language Paper 1 over the two year course. They will analyse, evaluate and compare a range of extracts from 20th and 21st century non-fiction texts, and create their own transactional writing for Language Paper 2 over the two year course.
How are students assessed, and what do the reports mean?
Students take a formal assessments in Literature and Language in the Autumn and Summer terms in Year 10. These are marked by teachers.
Students are formally assessed in Speaking and Listening in the Summer term in Year 10. This is graded by teachers and moderated by the exam board. Students will be awarded a Speaking and Listening endorsement as part of their GCSE Language qualification.
Students take formal mock exams in the Autumn and Spring terms in Year 11. These are marked by teachers. They then sit two Literature exam papers and two Language exam papers in the Summer for their GCSE qualification.
How can you help?
· Step One: Invest in a big dictionary.
· Step Two: Read with your child for 20-30 minutes each day. (Fiction or Non-fiction).
· Step Three: Highlight words they don’t know.
· Step Four: Find the definition.
· Step Five: Challenge them to use the new piece of vocabulary in four different sentences.
Support with homework or revision:
· Check Show My Homework regularly to help them manage their time and work load.
· CPG revision guides for all of the literature texts, and revision guides for the language exams can be purchased in the academy LRC.
· Copies of the literature texts can be purchased from the LRC.
· Join our Parent Book Club! Read and discuss the texts they are studying alongside them.